- The Event Horizon Telescope Collaboration observed the supermassive black hole at the center of M87, finding the dark central shadow in accordance with General Relativity, further demonstrating the power of this 100 year-old theory (Details).
- In March, 2019 to the World wide web the Internet 30 years were executed (30 facts about the Internet).
- 26th General Conference on Weights and Measures has made the decision – kilogram, ampere, kelvin, and mole were redefined at this meeting, in terms new permanently fixed values of the Planck constant, elementary charge, Boltzmann constant and Avogadro constant, respectively.
- 2018 – Nobel laureates in Physics – Gerard Mourou (France), Donna Strickland (Canada) for groundbreaking inventions in the field of laser physics”, in particular “for their method of generating high-intensity, ultra-short optical pulses & Arthur Ashkin (United States) for groundbreaking inventions in the field of laser physics”, in particular “for the optical tweezers and their application to biological systems
- 2017 – Nobel laureates in Physics – Rainer Weiss, Kip Thorne, Barry Barish (all United States) for decisive contributions to the LIGO detector and the observation of gravitational waves
- IBM 50-qubit quantum computer
- 2016 – Nobel laureates in Physics – David J. Thouless, F. Duncan M. Haldane, John M. Kosterlitz (all United Kingdom) for theoretical discoveries of topological phase transitions and topological phases of matter
- 2015 – Nobel laureates in Physics – Takaaki Kajita (Japan), Arthur B. McDonald (Canada) for the discovery of neutrino oscillations, which shows that neutrinos have mass