Physics of Bose-systems (104 Physics and Astronomy)
Type: For the choice of university
Department: theoretical physics
|Semester||Amount of hours||Lecturer||Group(s)|
|9||16||Professor Andrij Rovenchak||ФзФм-51м|
|Semester||Amount of hours||Group||Teacher(s)|
Опис навчальної дисципліни
Aims and objectives: provide with knowledge of physical phenomena in quantum liquids and gases as well as with relevant mathematical techniques. Main objectives are to analyze processes in Bose-systems and to learn the methods for studies of ideal bosons and diluted systems of laser-cooled atoms of alkali metals. These issues are of particular interest due to recent experimental advances in this area.
Intended capabilities: to know basic physical properties of Bose-systems and theoretical methods for studying them; to be capable of obtaining main relations for an ideal Bose-gas and using techniques of quantum field theory for studies of bosonic systems with interactions.
Description. The course covers the following topics: History of Bose-system studies; Ideal quantum gases (derivation of the distribution functions, thermodynamics of the ideal Bose-gas, ideal Bose-gas in an external field); Bose-systems with a finite number of particles; Gross–Pitaevskii equation; Bogoliubov’s method of approximate second quantization; Bose-systems with strong interactions; Physical grounds of experimental techniques for cooling and trapping atoms.
- N. N. Bogoliubov. Lectures on Quantum Statistics. Problems of Statistical Mechanics of Quantum Systems (New York: Gordon and Breach, 1967).
- Bose–Einstein Condensation, ed. by A. Griffin, D. W. Snoke, S. Stringari (Cambridge University Press, 1995).
- C. J. Foot. Atomic Physics (Oxford University Press, 2005).
- A. Griffin. Excitations in a Bose-condensed liquid (Cambridge University Press, 1993).
- L. D. Landau & E. M. Lifshitz. Statistical Physics (Oxford: Pergamon Press, 1980).
- C. Pethick & H. Smith. Bose–Einstein Condensation in Dilute Gases (Cambridge University Press, 2002).
- A. A. Rovenchak Physics of Bose-systems (Lviv University Press, 2015).